Volunteers offer a valuable source of support for members of the Skills Group. Working alongside staff as part of a team, volunteers assist members to take part in a range of activities. Volunteers offer practical assistance, for example:
- Helping set up art materials, supporting members to use brushes, paints, etc.
- Assisting members to get around by pushing wheelchairs.
- Supporting members to use computer technology, loading printer, using a mouse, accessing the web, etc.
- Setting up equipment for cookery group, assisting members to measure ingredients, reading cookbooks, use oven, etc.
- Assisting with trips out, pushing wheelchairs, checking access to buildings, making purchases, etc.
- Assisting at meal times, serving food, cutting up food, pouring out drinks, etc.
- Volunteers also offer motivational support to members, for example:
- Encouraging members to chose which activity to take part in.
- Encouraging members to participate as fully as possible.
- Offering members a choice over what style of painting, cookery, etc.
- Respecting and praising individual achievements.
- The involvement of volunteers also allows us to provide more one to one support, which greatly benefits our members.
Where and When
Skills Group operates in Heaton Moor,Stockport, and now has a base in Trafford. Skills runs Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 4.00pm. Volunteers either come for a morning, afternoon or full day usually once a week or once a fortnight.
Experience and Skills
Volunteers should have good interpersonal skills, as they will be working closely with people who may need a high level of support. Ability to work as part of a team. Good communication skills are needed as some members have very limited verbal communication. Volunteers must be committed to equal opportunities and respect the personal choices and independence of members. An understanding and caring manner and the ability to treat people with respect.
Volunteers are supported by a named member of staff who is responsible for their welfare and development. Volunteers have additional support from the rest of the team. A full Induction and training (as appropriate) is offered to all volunteers. Volunteers who enjoy working closely with people would benefit from this position. Volunteers are encouraged to share their individual interests in arts, crafts, cookery, music, computers, etc. with members of the Skills Group.